The City of Mission, Texas was founded in 1908 after the Missouri Pacific Railway established a railway station near what is now the center of town. Mrs. Ann Voltz, a resident of nearby Madero, suggested that the new town be called Mission after La Lomita Mission.
The chapel that exists today was reconstructed after the original was destroyed by natural disaster. The old chapel was built on top of a hill, thus “La Lomita”, where the ruins of Saint Peter’s Novitiate now stand. The new chapel was then constructed in its current location, which is now a city park.
The Oblate Mission was a halfway point between Brownsville, Texas and Roma, Texas where they maintained missions. The priests would ride their horses between the two forts offering Communion Service to the communities along the way. La Lomita Mission was a day’s ride from both cities, serving as a place to rest.
The land on which Mission lies were grants by the King of Spain. Through a succession of sales, the land was finally willed to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, who used it as a ranch and a mission. Over the years, a majority of the land was sold off, which led to developers founding the City of Mission, Texas.
Mission was the first area in the Rio Grande Valley to plant citrus. The modern citrus industry is now a multi-million dollar operation to this day, which is celebrated with the annual Texas Citrus Fiesta.